A stabbing at a Tube station in east London is being treated as a "terrorist incident", the Met Police have reported:
- Police were called to reports of people being attacked at Leytonstone around 19:00 GMT on Saturday. The knifeman reportedly shouted "this is for Syria".
- A man was arrested after being Tasered by police. One man suffered serious knife injuries while two others received minor injuries.
- Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism detectives are investigating the case.
- The Met said the suspect was reportedly threatening other people with a knife.
- A witness said he saw a man holding a knife, about 3ins (7.5cm) long, standing over another man who was lying on the ground, and people running out of the Central Line station.
The attacker is alleged to have shouted, "this is for Syria" and “‘This is what happens when you f*** with mother Syria all of your blood will be spilled’”.
- There is nothing to indicate that this attack was more than a lone wolf and isolated incident. At this stage, there has not been a statement from ISIL Daesh claiming responsibility; bearing in mind the group today claimed responsibility for the shootings in San Bernardino in California.
- While more details are to emerge from the Met Police, continued vigilance is needed and the guidance should be observed when on the tube
- The threat level has not altered and remains at ‘Severe’, which means an attack is highly likely.